Friday, October 3, 2008

This evening I was visiting constituents in Park Hill and was joined by Fred, Bruce, and Shane. Thanks to all of you! The good weather we are having makes canvassing much more enjoyable. There was one street in particular where many of the residents were sitting on their front porches or front yards and there were a lot of children playing up and down the street. I met one woman on two different streets - she has friends living close by. It's wonderful to see people outside in the evening, socializing with their neighbors. I think that is what most of us envision when we select a new home. On the street where I grew up there was an average of 3 children in every home. There was always someone to play with and we had great block parties.
Tonight I continued to hear a viewpoint that has been frequently expressed in all the communities I have visited. Many people have told me they have voted Conservative in the past, but are looking very seriously at other options. The cited reasons include taxing income trusts, calling the election despite having established a fixed date, and Stephen Harper not listening to anyone. One gentlemen told me succintly that it's about integrity. People asked about the Green Party's position on the economy, arts funding, and the environment.
Tomorrow (Thursday) is a big day. Elizabeth May will take part in the second leadership debate. I am going to take the night off canvassing so that I can see the debate in its entirety. I'm looking forward to sharing that event with all of the people who have been working on the Calgary Center campaign (thank you!!) and some of the other Green candidates in Calgary.

No comments: